Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Reading Is Cool, Kids

My list of books to read is longer than ever-- and since I'm taking a class that actually has its own reading, I'm not moving through the list with any great speed. However, here are some books that you might hear about again in the distant future. Surpassing the Love of Men was referenced a few times in Boston Marriages, it's called a classic, and seems like fascinating, while rather dense, reading.
I also found a book called We're Just Good Friends: Women and Men in Nonromantic Relationships. Apparently it is "a much needed scholarly, but accessible, treatise of a topic which fascinates us all but which has been neglected by investigators of relationships". This topic is, of course, friendship between presumably sexual men and women. The inclusionary part of me wants to say, "Of course men and women can be friends! We can all be friends!" but in the back of my mind, I'm incredulous. When Harry told Sally that men and women could never be friends because sex always gets in the way, what can I say? I believed it. It seemed logical to me.
Even though, as an asexual woman, Harry's edict might not apply to me, I haven't had a male best friend since elementary school-- maybe my girliness gets in the way. Okay, We're Just Good Friends. Blow my mind.

2 comments:

Fellmama said...

Hopping over from lj to say: I have several good male friends with whom sex hasn't gotten in the way, including one who is VERY close. (In fact, we're so close we ask each other the stuff we won't ask the people we're dating!)

Ily said...

Thanks for the input, Mary! And to further our human knowledge, would you mind doing a little theorizing on why that is? I mean, what's stopping you from wanting to date these people?