Sunday, December 2, 2007

Gay Bar, Gay Bar!

Got the Sunday Afternoon Blues? Morose about returning to work or school? Depressed about another long week wherever you're being institutionalized? Well, consider this your antidote:

"Gay Bar" by Electric Six
You!
I wanna take you to a gay bar,
I wanna take you to a gay bar,
I wanna take you to a gay bar,
gay bar, gay bar.

Let's start a war, start a nuclear war,
At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.

Now tell me, do ya, a do ya have any money?
I wanna spend all your money,
at the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.

I've got something to put in you,
I've got something to put in you,
I've got something to put in you,
At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.

You're a superstar at the gay bar.
Yeah you're a superstar at the gay bar.
You're a superstar at the gay bar

You can hear the song at this Myspace page. Although it kind of doesn't sound like the real song. Hmm. Anyway, you've probably noticed a trend, which is that I tend to ascribe a genius to simplicity that it may or may not actually deserve. To quote a cookbook I read once, "simple and easy are not the same thing". Indeed, but I love the song for more reasons than its sweet simplicity. First of all, I wish I had the brio to tell random people that I am taking them to a gay bar, gay bar, whether they like it or not, and there is nothing they can do about it.
Second, when I was in college (don't worry, this is a very innocent story), someone would play "Gay Bar" at every Theatre party. As a freshman, those parties seemed very exciting and exotic. By the time I was a Senior, I didn't like being a Theatre major, all the "Gay Bar" fans had graduated, and the parties seemed terribly lame. But, there was once a time when I wasn't completely bitter about higher education. And somewhere during that time, someone was playing "Gay Bar".
And third, when I really get into this song-- at the minimum, shaking my head around a little bit, if not all-out dancing-- suddenly my dream of the infamous A-Bar is only two letters away. Can you, can you feel it?

No comments: