Thursday, June 26, 2008

What Army!

I don't think I've talked about goals for this blog since my intro post. Since I'm coming up on 200 posts (I think this is 198 or 9) it seems like the perfect time. And as you all know from my "10 People at a Meetup!" militance, I have a thing for goals.

But let's talk about gay people for a second. Gay people do more together than just experience attractions to the same sex. They (to some extent) go to bars and clubs, have film festivals, go on cruises, and erect long-overdue busts of Harvey Milk. As most of us know, gay folks have been known to have their own culture. And the goal of this blog is to show that asexuals can do more together than simply eschew sex. We can have our own subculture. Even if we don't have our own cruises, we can talk about the same music, movies, and books. We can speculate on the same celebrities; we can have inside jokes. You know those terrified people who say, "If you're not having sex, just be quiet! There's nothing to talk about!"? I know we do have a lot to talk about, and I want to prove it. No one could read any of our blogs and deny that fact.

My other goal is: If you're ever in some kind of dire situation, and a villain snidely asks you, "Yeah, you and what army?" You can say, "Hah! My asexuals!" and we will all appear out of the background in impossibly nice suits and weilding futuristic gadgets. Mm Hm.


[Above: The original A-Team. Now, it's us!]

5 comments:

The Impossible K said...

These are great goals! And I love the A-Team idea, though I'm not so sure about the impossible nice suits. Maybe some androgenous slacks and shirts instead?

Queers United said...

i think the future holds hope for more of a visible asexual community. its just coming out now and it will grow.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I like your goals. XD It'd be nice to have an asexual army behind me. But in all seriousness, it would be so awesome to get to the point to where there was enough material out there that we could have an asexuality-related film festival. Even just having one movie to show at an LGBT film fest, at this point, would be amazing.

I've been reading your blog for a while, but haven't had much to comment on. Just want to say keep up the good work. I've linked you from my own blog. :)

Ily said...

Gray Lady-- thank you for the link! I've added you as well.

Ily said...

I'm glad to hear that people like my goals; it's always better when other people believe in them, too! (Suits or no suits :-)